Using the converted PDF in Visio
Both pdf2picture and PDF FLY can create files that Visio can import using the native Windows vector graphic format (WMF). It’s also possible for Visio to open DXF files generated by pdf2cad although WMF will yield a better result in most instances. Download Tip Sheet: Using pdf2picture output (WMF) in Visio)
To use your PDF files in Visio, perform the following steps once you have generated your converted file using either pdf2picture or PDF FLY:
1. Open the file using one of the methods below:
- Choose Open, File and then select File Type: Windows Metafile from the drop-down menu. It’s the last choice at the bottom of the “File Types” drop-down. Once you see your file on-screen, you are ready to move to Step #2.
- Alternatively, if you want to import the file into an existing document or presentation, open that file and select Insert Picture…., From File and choose the file from your hard drive or network file system
2. You should now see the converted drawing on your screen. Important! The drawing is imported as one grouped object and needs to be ungrouped if you wish to edit, remove or add parts of the drawing. To Ungroup your drawing, Select Shape, Grouping, Ungroup.
3. When ungrouping Visio will highlight every discreet object in pink. In order to deselect everything, you need to click anywhere on the page outside of the drawing boundaries.
4. Once the drawing is ungrouped and the objects are deselected, you may select whatever you want to change and it will appear with editing handles.
TIP! If you want to scale the drawing, make sure you “regroup” it by selecting Grouping, Group so that everything is scaled proportionately.
Contact Us if you have problems. The best way to get help is to send the file you are having trouble with along with any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!